Tuesday 3 April 2012

Just Another Manic Monday . . .

I read an expression this morning that I think sums up what is needed here at Shenanigans Inc.:

A Gentle Day

Doesn't that sound lovely?

Well, after the day we had yesterday, a gentle day is definitely in order.

It all started when I awoke and realised there was no milk left.  In fact, there was no cereal left.  The bread was gone and we were down to one egg.  Yikes!  No worries, though, I woke the boys up and announced we were going out for breakfast.

Yippee!

Since we were already up and out, I decided that this would be a good time to catch up on all those errands I keep putting off.  I am the Queen of Procrastination!  We did some shopping, washed the car, bought the week's groceries, ran home to unload the groceries, ate lunch, headed back out to get the oil changed in the car, and arrived home at 4pm to catch up on the schoolwork we missed and to make supper before soccer at 6:30pm.  Phew!

And here lies the problem:  amidst the flurry of activity and pressing time constraints, Elliot shuts down and I push harder.  Trust me, this is one lethal combination.  There were tears, there was shouting, there were empty threats made, and there were feelings hurt.  Ugh!

Thankfully, my hubby, who did I mention just finished his exam for the CMA course (woot! woot!), was actually home for supper, and managed to save the day with his level-headedness by sitting down with Elliot, turning his funk of a mood around with a monetary incentive (I prefer the word incentive to bribery, don't you?) and helping him to finish his work.  Then, like only the best Super Heroes can, he made the evening even better by taking the kids to soccer (woot! woot! woot!).

Although I promised to clean up the kitchen while he was gone, I lied.  Yeah, that's the kind of girl I am.  Instead, I laid on the couch and read some blogs, called my mom, and took a hot bath.

Shrouded within the peace and quiet of my home, clarity returned.

Okay, girl.   You screwed up.  You lost your patience and your cool, BUT tomorrow is another day.  Oh, and don't forget all the good things that did happen today.

Does anyone else do that; forget all the wonderful things they did in a day after only one screw up?  I do this ALL the time.  I beat myself up mercilessly for the one mistake and ignore the hundred things I did right.

So, I started focusing on what went right with our day.

First of all, I bought a bathing suit that, if you allow me to boast for only a moment, I totally rock in and, as all you ladies out there can testify, this is a small miracle in of itself.  

Second of all, I filled my home with nutritious food for my family, which is hugely significant because I once again sustained the life of five whole people on the earth today.  Wow!  

Third, I gave the boys a brand new experience here on this mortal journey of theirs by taking them to the car wash.  I know!  Their first one . . . who knew they were leading such deprived lives, or that I am such a neglectful car owner?  I must say, though, it did blow their mind!



I apologise for how blurry this picture is, but I think it captures the boys' excitement to a tee.



Fourth, my heart was full and I had one of those proud mama moments when Avery exclaimed: "Sometimes I get so happy that I think my head might burst right open!".  Totally made my day!  

And last but not least, I laid down in bed with Elliot last night, where we snuggled and apologised for all the grief we had caused one another and promised to never do it again.  Awwwww!

Okay, so, we both lied but, hey, we went to bed happy and eager to face another day together.  

tee hee!

1 comment:

  1. I love this! It's so easy to focus on the bad and forget the good. What wise advice to recall the good moments of each day. Hope today was as gentle as you were hoping!

    ReplyDelete