Wednesday 31 October 2012

Halloween Eve

There are some moments I wish I could bottle, capturing every sound, smell, sight, thought, and feeling, and keep it safely stored on my bedside table forever.  Last night was one of those nights.  It was one of those nights reminiscent of my own childhood, where my family would gather together to prepare for an upcoming holiday and when our home was filled with laughter, music, and the smell of mom's baking.  It was nights like these that made me yearn to become the mom of my own family, and last night reminded me of just how much I love being that mom.

Let me try and recreate the magic for you!  It was dark and rainy outside.  Zoe was sitting at the table finishing up a music essay that was due the next day.   Psy's Gangnam Style was playing in the background and the boys were dancing and singing.  Excitement infused the room.  It was Halloween Eve, and Shenanigans Inc. was in the midst of all things Halloween-y.

Candy Apples




They were so delicious!



Even teenagers, who were not feeling so Halloween-y, enjoyed them.  

Sugar Cookies





Mmmmm . . . .

Roasted Pumpkin Seeds


Yummy and healthy for you.

Pumpkin Carving
(and if I may add, both of these pumpkins were grown in our very own garden!)


Mr. Level-Headed decided that the boys were old enough now to carve out the pumpkins themselves.  I was a nervous wreck.



They did an awesome job, though, and even more importantly, there were no injuries.  Yay!



The pumpkin on the right is Avery's.  His name is Stephen, and he is a game-show host . . . tee hee!  Where does he come up with this stuff?

At 9pm, when all things Halloween-y were ready for the big day, Mr. Level-Headed announced it was time for bed, but I didn't want it to end.  I didn't want to let this moment slip away.  Just a few more minutes . . .  please!  The music was blaring.  Zoe was writing.  The boys were hovering over their new library books, and I was standing in the kitchen soaking it all up, savouring every last morsel.  Avery ran up to me, and hugged me around the waist.

Mom, you must really love Halloween!

And I laughed because, truth be told, I don't.

Actually, bud, I just really love you guys!



Happy Halloween everyone!












No comments:

Post a Comment