Tuesday 29 January 2013

My Shallow Side

And now for something entirely shallow . . . .

I LOVE my new butterfly punch!

Happy Birthday to me . . . . Happy Birthday to me . . . . Happy Birthday dear Krista  . . . . Happy Birthday to me!

I had the most fantabulous birthday yesterday!  Sunday night, as I was dragging my triple-birthday-partied butt to bed, I began to whine to Mr. Level-Headed that I was not ready for another week to begin.  I needed a three day weekend to recover from all the festivities.  Then, like you see in all the cartoons, a light bulb flashed above my head, and I had the grandest epiphany.

I have the power to make this a three-day weekend.  Me, and me alone . . . . muhahahahahahaha!

(power always goes straight to my head and tends to unleash my dark side)

Kids, my first birthday decree is to pronounce tomorrow a holiday.  Mama is sleeping in!

(This proclamation sent my minions into a fit of giddiness.  They cheered, they sang, and they danced.  It's good to have this kind of power.)

Thankfully, high school is still in their post-exam break because I really don't have that kind of power, and this meant that Baby Girl would be able to celebrate with us.

I drifted off to sleep that night basking in the knowledge that I didn't have to get up and do anything the next morning . . . . ahhhhhhhhhh!  Then I awoke at 7am . . . . ugh!  Clearly my body did not get the memo about my birthday proclamation.  I spent the remainder of the morning lying in bed, writing blog posts, and eating the breakfast my minions made for me. Heaven!


Eventually I did get up, and after much pleading and begging from my minions, whose pockets were alight with the fire of birthday money and gift cards, we headed into the mall, but not until after Mr. Level-Headed had texted me and offered to take us all out for supper to celebrate the birth of yours truly. Gosh darn it, I love that man!  At the mall, Avery quickly picked out a new Hobbit Lego set (obsessed!) and a Lord of the Rings video game.  Armed with a list and a strategic plan to navigate us quickly through the shops, Zoe bought the things she desperately needed as well.  Being the best Baby Girl anyone could ever have, she even bought her mama a couple of gifts . . . . awwwwwwwwwww!   And here is where my always embarrassing, but kind of endearing (I hope!), shallow side comes out:

Back Story!

For the past couple of months, I have been going on and on and on and on and on about dry shampoo.  My favourite blogger of all time, Nat the Fat Rat, wrote a post about how dry shampoo has changed her life. Changed her life, folks!  It has given her the most amazing hair, and having straight, lifeless hair myself, I have been dying to try it.  In fact, ever since I read her post where she poo-pooed on the daily routine of wetting and washing your hair, I have switched over to only washing it every second day.  This alone has been life-altering!  I have discovered that my hair does, in fact, have a wave to it.  Hello!  Where have you been all my life?  Oh right, weighed down by the drying effects of water and soap . . . sheesh!  For the first time ever in my life, I am absolutely in love with my hair.  Okay . . . so maybe that's a lie.  I had a pretty awesome perm in grade nine that I absolutely adored, but we really do not want to hear that back story.  

Anyhoo . . . 

So, as Zoe was perusing the cosmetic shelves at Zellers, who by the way still have a ton of stuff left and it is all 40% off, she found a bottle of dry shampoo.  DRY SHAMPOO!  I was ecstatic, and then she offered to buy it for me.  I could have kissed her right there, right on the lips, but if I had, she would probably put it back and refuse to buy me anything ever again.  Phew!  That was a close one.  I contained my excitement and thanked her profusely.  Then, as we were waiting in line to buy my DRY SHAMPOO!, I saw a three-pack of turtles, which was 40% off.  I love nothing more than Turtles, especially Turtles on sale, and so I picked them up and scoured the ingredients list in fear and in trepidation, looking for the dreaded word wheat flour.  And hallelujah they are clean!  Woohoo!  I squealed and handed them and a loonie to Zoe. 

We be needing these . . . 

Turtles and dry shampoo . . . . you would think my day could not get any better, but it did!

When we got back to our car, Zoe pulled out a hat from one of her bags. It was identical to the hat she got for her birthday and that I have been coveting all weekend long and have been given strict instructions not to touch.

Happy Birthday, Mom!

At this point, the angels were heralding.  Life is so good.

a sleep in
no school
breakfast in bed
a new crockpot (thanks mom and dad)
socks
a Fabricville gift card
copious amounts of Facebook birthday wishes
dry shampoo
my hat
a sale on turtles
dinner out with my hubby and three awesome kids

Top that list off with two Indigo books cards burning a whole in my own pocket, and I would have to proclaim:

THIS WAS THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!!!!!! 



Thank you everyone for putting a great big, cheesy grin on this 37 year old face.

Now, I am off to spray my dirty hair with some dry shampoo.  I am so excited!!








No comments:

Post a Comment