Monday 11 July 2011

One Blissful, Yet Ridiculously Lazy Weekend

It all started Friday afternoon, when I found myself down to only one child.  Zoe and Elliot were off cavorting with their buddies for the day fishing, swimming, and tubing (Elliot).  Avery had plans to go out with his friend, Jack, but they wouldn't be picking him up for another hour so this looked like the perfect time to have a little one-on-one time with my wee-est Webster.  The two of us were pretty tuckered out from our week of summer shenanigans so we pulled out the Lego box and got down to some serious Lego-building action.





We love Lego!  As we sifted through the box looking for that perfect piece, we talked about whales and other things that were pressing on Avery's mind.  Unfortunately, I couldn't answer all of his questions; therefore, we decided a trip to the library next week was in order.  Yes, I should have just booted up my computer and googled the answers, but for me, there are just some things that books do so much better.  Plus, I would never turn down an opportunity to meander through the library.  Sweet bliss: an entire building whose soul purpose is to house books! 

Our hour was quickly up, and I was left all alone.  After having the kids fill the house with their squeals of laughter, their maniacal plots, and their wrestling matches for the past three weeks, it seemed eerily quiet and I was at a loss as to what I should do.  I stared down at the monstrous pile of laundry that was calling out to me for its own share of one-on-one time, but I knew it just wasn't going to happen.  The responsible me was taking off her apron and was about to indulge in a little laziness (unbeknownst to me this would become the theme for my weekend  . . . love it!)

I grabbed the new Tina Fey biography, which my sister highly recommended for being jam packed with a plethora of laugh-out-loud moments, and I hunkered down in my bed.

Ugh!  Tina, just because you know twenty different variations for the word vagina doesn't mean you have to use them all. 

I was bitterly disappointed!  Now, I know I sound like a prude, but I did play Angry Vagina in "The Vagina Monologues" back in my ol' university days (betcha didn't see that one coming) so I am pretty familiar with these words.  Yikes, I just used the word vagina three times, oops, now four. I wonder if I will get to keep my "clean" rating on Blogger  . . . tee hee!   But, for me, listening to an intelligent woman use profanity and continually refer to her nether regions is no longer shocking or funny.  It's kind of like "been there, done that" and now it's time to move on.  

  So, there's my rant for the day.  Thankfully, my blog is not that popular and I do not have to worry that Tina Fey will EVER come across this scathing critique.  Or, just my luck this would be the day it finally goes viral, and I will be placed on her list alongside Sarah Palin as people the world should make fun of.  Oh, and for the record, Sarah does deserve to be on this list and probably me too, but, thankfully, no one knows me!

I closed the book after reading only twenty pages (something I NEVER do), and decided to paint my toenails because my hubby and I had big plans for the evening: dinner and a movie.  For me, this is the ideal date night, and we were not disappointed!  We tried Splash, the new Thai restaurant in Saint John, for dinner and it was very yummy!  I loved their yellow curry dish with chicken and sweet potato.  Then we headed to the new Transformers movie, which was very funny and action-packed, exactly what you looking for in a summer blockbuster.  We had so much fun! 

When we arrived home, all of my kidlets plus a few extra ones were hanging out in the living room watching TV.  Each of them was sun-kissed and exhausted from their day so I shuttled them off to bed. 

It was the start of one blissful, yet ridiculously lazy weekend! 

We enjoyed naps, watched a ton of movies, had lunch with friends and wrapped it all up with a strawberry shortcake date at my mom's house.  Ahhh . . . There is nothing better than those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer!








2 comments:

  1. Oh, but if you are interested in reading a good book try The Help. There was only one crazy scene, where I was like "and what's the point of that?". Anyone who has already read it, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about . . . Naked guy in the bushes?!! But, all in all, it was awesome!!
    And yes, Chris, this means it is time for our lunch date . . . Yippee!
    Oh, and for those of you who may not know, Chris is a girl . . . so I am not stepping out on Mr. Level-Headed . . . Tee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an intelligent woman who uses profanity and thinks bodily functions and parts, are indeed funny, I would like to say that this book is well worth reading beyond the first twenty pages. Yes, she is a comedian and a celebrity, but she also has some very interesting insights on being a woman in a male-dominated profession; a very powerful, talented and influential woman, who is not afraid of hard work and deserves the success that she has. A serious feminist in a very funny package! The best part about her book is that she is self-effacing. She doesn't claim to have it all and she recognizes that she can't do it all very well, juggling motherhood her busy job, life, but she's doing the best she can, like all women are. And these are some of the funniest parts in the book. I am an advocate for this book because I found it hilarious and inspiring at the same time. Just thought I would give my two cents, cuz I do love this book, and Tina Fey :)

    Oh, and she actually goes on to defend Sarah Palin later in the book. Intrigued yet? Ha,ha!

    ReplyDelete